Is it a growing problem in your buildings?
Mold spores exist everywhere in the environment. Did you know that mold can grow in as little as 24-48 hours? Mold can grow almost anywhere there is water damage, high humidity, or dampness. For mold to grow, it needs moisture or water, oxygen, and an organic source.
According to OSHA, concern about indoor exposure to mold has increased along with public awareness that exposure to mold can cause a variety of health effects and symptoms, including allergic reactions. Although most types of molds that are routinely encountered are not hazardous to healthy individuals, overexposure can result in symptoms like cough, congestion, runny nose, eye irritation, and aggravation of asthma. Depending on the amount of exposure and a person’s individual vulnerability, more serious health effects such as fevers and breathing problems can occur.
Additionally, if not treated, mold can eventually cause structural damage to a wood-framed building, weakening floors and walls as it spreads.
What can you do to prevent indoor mold growth?
Be aware of water damage. Walk through the workplace to identify any condensation or wet spots and repair plumbing problems immediately.
Keep the building’s humidity level below 70% and regularly inspect your building’s HVAC system.
Ensure adequate drainage around your building sloping away from the foundation.
We can help. SSM offers a staff of industrial hygienists, indoor air quality specialists, and facilities engineers capable of performing the evaluations necessary to assess mold and the extent of mold contamination. We understand that immediate response is critical to identify and eliminate the source of moisture and to controlling mold and its growth. Our approach includes a detailed remediation work plan and specifications, provisions of oversight and final clearance testing. SSM has the years of experience, depth, knowledge, and responsiveness necessary to successfully complete your projects before they become crises.
When the Workplace isn’t a Building
Mold can grow almost anywhere and spread quickly and easily which means company vehicle fleets are at risk of mold growth just like your facilities. The main cause of mold is damp conditions mixed with a warm environment, which can easily occur in a vehicle. Leaks from a cracked window or open sunroof during a rain storm, spilled liquids or even wet clothes/towels may provide just enough moisture for mold to grow. Once there’s mold in the vehicle it has the potential to ruin the car’s interior. Getting it professionally cleaned might be the only option in some cases.
SSM Industrial Hygienists have recently worked with ServPro of Easton, Bethlehem & Whitehall to provide services related to possible mold in vehicles. Our team collects tape lift samples and evaluates the results from an AIHA accredited microbiology laboratory analytical results.
FOR MORE INFORMATION