SSM provided a full range of construction stakeout and surveying services to L.F. Driscoll for the $354 million construction of a 476,000 SF surgical tower expansion on the Reading Health System campus. The eight-story building is home to 24 operating rooms, 8 procedure rooms, a 15-room emergency department expansion, 4-bay trauma expansion and 150 single-bed patient rooms.
In coordination with the prime contractor and in conjunction with various trades, SSM provided a variety of surveying services throughout the duration of the project. The SSM surveying team provided on-site survey control for the entire site including stake out reference points that provided guidance and control to the project from groundbreaking through to final construction. Close interaction between trades, our surveying team, and the construction team results in cost-efficient construction, and more importantly accurate construction of the tower on this complex site.
Our survey team utilized high-definition surveying technology for each slab on grade and on deck. The team provided laser scan results and analysis of high and low spots from baseline elevation in 1/8” increments.
The team collected data and provided as-built documentation for all phases of the project including existing steel tie-in points. In addition, the survey team verified all anchor bolt locations prior to concrete placement.
Specific services included:
- Establishing horizontal and vertical surveying control throughout the job site. Establishing control points associated to the project layout and interacting with trades as the project progresses.
- Provide layout of job fence, tower crane areas, and set perimeter pins and benchmarks for building footprint column locations.
- Verification of all site utilities, existing and new, and layout of critical utilities, all water, sewer and storm drainage improvements. As-built all newly installed utilities.
- Providing elevation control points for each floor as well as exterior points to ensure the alignment of the upper story walls.
- Provide layout of shoring walls and weekly movement monitoring of installed walls.